Saturday 2 May 2009

FROM LOCH NESS TO THE AMAZON VIA THE No. 36 BUS


What freak of nature wouldn't want there to be monsters lurking in some forgotten corner of the world? I long for there to be monsters and I know I'm not alone. There are people who set up camp on the shores of Loch Ness hoping to cop a brief glimpse of something wonderful.

And when I was a boy there was a local bus driver who spent 6 months of every year driving the no. 36 on its route, saving up his wages and spending the other six months of the year exploring the Amazon hunting for dinosaurs. I don't know if he ever had any luck but I do know that one year he never returned. I like to think he was eaten.

But as much as I hanker after monsters I wouldn't want to be eaten by them and I fear for the children in the picture above. Hopefully they'll escape but I'm pretty sure Fluffy's doomed.